Wednesday 4 March 2009

How do you cope with stress, doctor?

I've been really enjoying my time away from work. Taking time to pause tends to make me a bit philosophical and I'm going to write about something that I've been giving quite a lot of thought to.

"How do you cope with stress?"

This was one of the questions I was asked at my interview for medical school when I was seventeen years old and it’s something I’ve been pondering recently.

Without a shadow of a doubt, working as a doctor can be incredibly stressful. There have been times during or after emergencies when I’ve been close to losing it completely but, more insidiously, there’s an undercurrent of stress that all doctors have to cope with. How we cope with this is something that is hardly ever spoken about at work, or even outside work. I think there is something quite fundamentally challenging about the environment we doctors have to work in and I’ll try and explain why.

As individuals, people who apply to medical school are very comfortable and happy with health and healthy people. We see good health as being important and something to strive for. Part of the reason we go to medical school in the first place is because we want to help other people achieve the good health that we see as being so important. It’s not a great leap of logic to assume that someone like Slobodan Milosevic wouldn’t have been interested in applying to medical school. So, it follows that the people who apply to medical school are at ease and are comfortable in environments where people are healthy.

As a doctor, you are put in an environment where people are not healthy. You have to work every day in hospitals and hospitals are full of ill people. In other words, you spend the majority of your time in an environment that is the direct opposite to the one in which you feel most comfortable. At any given time, the sickest people in the whole region are right there in your workplace. You’re in an environment when people are so ill that they die. They die every day. You try and help, you try as hard as you can, but they still die. They still die every day. For a person who is most comfortable among the healthy, this sort of environment automatically causes stress. Sometimes great amounts of stress, sometimes so much stress that the doctor can’t cope and ends up having a breakdown or even committing suicide.

Which brings me back to the point of the article – how do we cope? Why don’t all doctors kill themselves? Why do the majority of my medical colleagues honestly tell me that they “enjoy their job?”

It starts in medical school. During your journey through medical school, you learn a hell of a lot of stuff. Medical students will be able to tell you what the sartorious muscle does, why we always sniff when we cry, how to spot cancerous cell down a microscope, at what gestational age the foetal heart beats for the first time, and so on and so on… but I’m now realising that one of the most important things you learn as an undergraduate is how to cope with the hospital environment. You learn how to cope with disease, how to cope with death and, more fundamentally, how to cope with the stress that disease and death will cause to you. You’re introduced to the hospital in a very measured way and, even though we don’t realise it at that stage, it’s at medical school that we learn our coping mechanisms.

But how we cope is not really tested until we become doctors.

Before I started working, I would try and be conscienscious and I’d spend lots of time in the hospital, but at the back of my mind, I knew that I could leave at any time. If I felt unwell I could leave, if I felt tired I could go home and everything would be just fine without me. The patients didn’t need me, their relatives didn’t need me, the hospital staff didn’t need me and I knew that I wouldn’t really be missed if I wasn’t there.

That all changed on my first shift as a doctor. Suddenly, the responsibility was mine. I inherited 25 patients to look after and I had to cope with the fear, the anxiety, and responsibility of trying as best I could to make them all better and get them home. And try I did, but here’s the thing – the work never ends. One patient gets well enough to leave and within minutes, there’ll be a new patient in the bed that’s just been vacated. A whole new person with a whole new set of problems for me to try and remedy and the whole cycle starts again. And this happens again and again ad infinitum.

What I’m trying to get across is that those coping mechanisms that we develop in med school get tested to destruction when we become doctors. Some people’s coping mechanisms stand up, others’ don’t and people have to try and find new ways of coping. I’ve scratched my head a bit and I’m going to try and write about some of the ways that doctors cope with stress.

Working harder

From what I’ve seen, this is the most common one by far. I’ve already mentioned that your work as a doctor never actually stops. There’s always another patient to clerk, another blood test to do, another X-ray to review, another letter to write, another audit to complete, another relative to talk to, another referral to make, the list goes on and on and on. You really can bury yourself in your work to the point that it seems like nothing else matters.

Dr X will say, “I can’t possibly go home yet, I have another four sets of blood tests to do, and repeat Mr Brown’s ABG and make sure everything is prepared for tomorrow’s consultant ward-round…” However, if you scratch the surface a little, you’ll find that the real reason that Dr X is still at work four hours after her shift finished is that Dr X finds NOT working far more stressful than working. You see, when you’re at work, you don’t have time to feel stressed because there’s so much more stuff to get done. At home on your own though… well that’s another story. So Dr X works harder and harder and harder so she doesn’t have to face up to her own thoughts and stresses.
I’m guessing that this sort of thing was more common in the days when junior doctors had to work all day and all night every day and every night, but it’s still very common now in 2009.

Colleagues

Ever wondered why at university medical students seemed to hang out only with other medical students? We just didn’t seem to mix as much with other students did we? It’s partly due to the (relative) intensity of the degree we chose to study, but more importantly it’s that we automatically had a common bond with each other. We had a shared set of experiences that only other medical students could understand, because they were there too. I remember when I was a Fresher and I told a history student that I had to dissect a real, dead person as part of my studies. He was fascinated (and a little grossed out), but he didn’t really understand what it felt like because he wasn’t there. I tried to share with him that I had a nagging feeling that cutting this man’s neck apart was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG because, he was alive once. I tried to tell him that I imagined what he would have been like when he was alive (Jovial? Stupid? Intelligent? Funny? Rich? Poor?) and I had such a massive amount of respect that he’d let me do this to his body after death. But he didn’t get it, he couldn’t get past the part that I “actually cut his neck open – gross!” so I gave up.
This clubbing together of medics doesn’t change after we graduate, if anything, it becomes more marked. Most of my good friends are doctors and it really helps having someone to talk to who’s been through the same experiences. Not only that, you also work with much more senior doctors and nurses who’ve been through it all before, you have role models and people you idolise and this all helps you make sense and cope with events going on around you.

Friends and family

From what I’ve seen, having supportive friends and family is probably the thing that keeps most doctors sane. From a personal point of view, I know that being able to let of steam and rant about the system we work in is incredibly cathartic, even if the person I’m ranting at doesn’t really know what the hell I’m going on about. My friends and family have put up with me when work has made me furious, despondent, frightened or just plain depressed. I know I’m really lucky to have such a supportive social network, whether it’s my Dad saying he’s proud of what I’ve done or it’s my sister telling me that I’m “obviously a good doctor” (like she’d know!), it all helps knowing that they’re there.

Religion

“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.” There can be no doubt that having a faith and a strong belief that there is more to the world than the (sometimes truly horrific) things we see before us helps doctors cope with what they have to do.

Sex

If you work in a hospital for any length of time, you’ll become aware of a strong undercurrent of sexuality with the staff. It’s been there at every hospital I’ve worked. Sometimes it’s understated, but often it’s explicit. There’s lots of flirting, lots of “complementing,” and, if you want it, there’s lots of shagging. I doubt many would admit it but often, this is a coping mechanism. After all it’s much easier to motivate yourself to go to work if you know that a certain medical house officer will be there isn’t it? And it’s much easier to get through the day with thoughts of what the said house officer was doing to you last night running through your head…

Alcohol

Everyone I know has done this, myself included. We’ve all come home and said “I’ve had a REALLY REALLY shitty day at work, come on, we’re going out and I am going to get SMASHED. I want to be so off my face that I can’t see…”
And we’ve gone out and got totally of our faces.
In and of itself, I don’t think that this isn’t really a big problem, but the thing about alcohol is that it can become incredibly destructive. What started out as a big session once in a blue moon after a particularly shitty week turns into going out every weekend and getting blasted. But you’re not doing it because it’s fun, you’re not doing it to have a good time, in fact, you don’t actually enjoy getting drunk at all, you’re just doing it because when you’re drunk, you can forget about the hospital and how being in the hospital makes you feel. Then you find yourself drinking routinely everyday after work, slowly drinking more and more each evening. Then you suddenly find that you can’t get through the day without a drink… At this point your work colleagues start talking about you and how you smell of gin half way through the morning…
Alcohol is insidious, I wouldn’t really call it a “coping strategy” but I’d predict that the vast majority of doctors lie somewhere along the scale that starts with “getting drunk to forget once in a blue moon” and ends with “being an alcoholic.”

Drugs

Doctors doing drugs is a huge taboo, but we know it goes on. The reasons are pretty similar to those outlined above for alcohol. Remember that doctors know more about the drugs they are taking than your average man on the street, we have much more access to uncontaminated drugs, we know what their side-effects are and we know how to hide them.

Other activities

One of the thing I’ve noticed in my career so far is that as junior doctors’ working hours have reduced (currently, a junior doc will work an average of between 44 and 60 hrs every week), doctors are taking more opportunity to “get away from it all.” Doctors now have more time to develop hobbies, be that sports, hiking, travelling, music, painting, charity work, it seems to me that the general chit-chat among doctors isn’t as focused on medicine as it used to be and I believe this is the result of more of having a life outside work.

I appreciate that this post has become very long and really, I’m just jotting down my own personal observations and thoughts but, like I said, how we actually cope with what we have to do is not something that gets spoken about very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment